Diabetic retinopathy: Treatment
Ophthalmologist Philip Burgess joins Clinical Diabetologist John Wilding to discuss the treatment of sight-threatening retinopathy and maculopathy in people with diabetes (9:11).
- The impact of laser treatment on VEGF production in the peripheral retina.
- Recent evidence demonstrating the efficacy of anti-VEGF monoclonal antibodies delivered via intravitreal injection.
- The key treatment benefits and drawbacks for choosing injection therapy versus laser therapy
- The approaches being investigated to minimize the treatment burden and drawbacks associated with multiple anti-VEGF monoclonal antibody injections and laser treatment.
- New approaches being investigated including, endothelial progenitor cell based therapy.