Diabetes device use in women admitted to the maternity unit
Diabetologist Pratik Choudhary and Nurse Consultant Lori Berard discuss considerations around the use of diabetes self-management technologies within the hospital setting. This video focuses specifically on the use of diabetes devices, such as insulin pumps, worn by pregnant women in the period before and after labor (4:26).
Learning points include:
- Growing evidence that use of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) and insulin pumps during pregnancy in patients with type 1 diabetes is associated with better glucose control and improved neonatal outcomes.
- Suggested protocols for women using insulin pumps admitted in labor or for caesarean section.
More videos in this series:
- Hospitalized patients that use continuous glucose monitoring devices and insulin dosing apps.
- Hospitalized patients using insulin pumps.
- Emergency admissions for patients using diabetes devices.
- Hospital admissions for surgery or radiology in patients using diabetes devices.
- Diabetes device use in women admitted to the maternity ward.