Hospitalized patients using continuous glucose monitoring devices and insulin dosing apps
Diabetologist Pratik Choudhary and Nurse Consultant Lori Berard discuss considerations around the use of diabetes self-management technologies within the hospital setting. This video focuses on inpatient use of continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) devices and dosing apps (8:14).
Learning points include:
- The basics on how CGM devices work.
- Self-management benefits that CGM devices and dosing apps can convey to the individual with diabetes.
- How embracing the patient’s autonomy and device oriented self-care routines may benefit the treating clinician.
- How and why interstitial glucose measurements can vary from capillary glucose measurements.
- Approaches to integrating capillary glucose measurements into the care of patients using a CGM device.
More videos in this series:
- Hospitalized patients that use continuous glucose monitoring devices and insulin dosing apps.
- Hospitalized patients using insulin pumps.
- Emergency admissions for patients using diabetes devices.
- Hospital admissions for surgery or radiology in patients using diabetes devices.
- Diabetes device use in women admitted to the maternity ward.