Ask the expert: Hypertension and diabetes
What are the current recommendations for managing high blood pressure in diabetes patients?
Editorial Board member Jay Shubrook and lead author on the American Diabetes Association’s (ADA) 2017 Position Statement on diabetes and hypertension, Ian de Boer, summarize key updates to the recommendations for practitioners in the United States (11:32).
Learning points include:
- Distinguishing between the ADA Standards of Care and ADA Position Statement on diabetes and hypertension.
- The rationale and guidance for the increased use of home blood pressure measurements.
- When lifestyle modification should be recommended in hypertensive diabetes patients.
- The updated recommendations for the use of antihypertensive medications.
- The revisions to the ADA’s recommended blood pressure targets.
- Factors that should be considered when individualizing hypertension treatment in diabetes patients.